The Board of the Australian International Three-Day Event are today advising supporters and partners that this year’s event will be canceled due the COVID-19 crisis.
The difficult decision was made by the Board last week after considering all options and follows the impact COVID-19 has on all governments, events, and communities.
Board Chair Greg Rolton said it was particularly disappointing given the success of last year’s event, which was a lead up to the now deferred Tokyo Olympic games.
“Our primary focus has to be on our ability to operate a safe and successful event at the world-high benchmark we have created,” he said.
“It is the Board’s view that even if restrictions were lifted to a point of allowing spectators to the event, the athletes and horses would not have the lead up events to qualify and prepare them to compete at the five-star competition, the highest level of event for the sport of eventing."
“This has led to the decision to cancel the 2020 event but we look forward to planning the 2021 Aus3DE to showcase the very best that Adelaide and South Australia has to offer post this crisis.”
Last year, the Aus3DE was awarded five-star status by the FEI, and the standard that was set at the event cemented its position as the Southern Hemisphere’s premier equestrian event. More than 25,000 people attend the Adelaide event over the four days of competition, with visitors traveling from Greece, Singapore, UK, USA, NZ, Spain, Netherlands, and France, as well as from every Australian state and territory.
Mr. Rolton said the event attracts significant media attention across the traditional platforms of TV, radio, and press with an estimated media value of in excess of $1 million.
“We thank the Marshall Government for being a strong supporter of this great event and we have ambitions for it to extend its reach and formalize itself as a premier business networking event on the national calendar – where trade, export, and South Australian opportunities can be discussed against the most idyllic and exciting backdrop,” he said.
We look forward to working with all parties to ensure that this internationally acclaimed event can become bigger and better in the beautiful Adelaide parklands from 2021.
Are you following along with the action from home this weekend? Or maybe you're competing at an event and need information fast. Either way, we’ve got you covered!
The United States Eventing Association (USEA) is pleased to offer the USEA Adult Team Championships (ATC) at the upcoming USEA American Eventing Championships (AEC) presented by Nutrena Feeds. The AEC will take place at Galway Downs in Temecula, California, from Wednesday, Aug. 27, to Sunday, Aug. 31.
Seventeen-year-old Carolyn Rice, a high school junior from Johns Creek, Georgia, has spent the last 10 years riding at Willow South Riding School—the very place where she first sat on a horse. What started as a casual introduction quickly became a lifelong passion.
A field of top veteran riders is entered in this year’s Cosequin Lexington CCI4*-S, a US Equestrian Open Eventing Series Qualifier, at the Defender Kentucky Three-Day Event, which returns to the Kentucky Horse Park, April 24-27.