The Charles Owen Technical Merit Award was founded by the USEA Professional Horsemens’ Council. The hope is that this award will provide incentives for amateur riders who demonstrate safe and appropriate cross-country technique, and will also educate riders and trainers as to what constitutes safe riding across country. Amateur riders entered in the designated divisions will automatically be judged during their cross-country rounds and will receive score sheets with written comments, which will provide valuable feedback for them and their trainers. Judges qualified to evaluate riders to receive the award are: Level III and IV ICP instructors, USEF licensed eventing officials, and USET Senior Team riders.
This year the Charles Owen Technical Merit Award will be judged at the Training level for junior and amateur riders.
Winners of the Charles Owen Technical Merit Award receive a Charles Owen Body Protector (pictured below) and helmet bag. In addition the highest scoring junior and highest scoring senior at the end of the year will receive a Charles Owen helmet at the USEA Annual Awards Ceremony.
The judging criteria are based on technical merit and safe riding on cross country. It includes the following elements:
1. Gallop: Appropriate speed for level, terrain, conditions, type of obstacle, and balance.
2. Preparation Period: Demonstrates change in balance appropriate for type of obstacle. Choice of line of direction/approach, riders demonstrates proper aids, horse responsive to aids.
3. Execution of Jump: Jumped in proper balance with no twisting or drifting. Safe negotiation by horse with no badly hanging legs, rider stays in balance.
4. Rider Position: Secure, effective position, use of upper body, fitness.
5. General Impressions: Horse appropriate for level, rider in control, partnership of horse and rider, confidence of horse and rider, competence and preparation for level.
Pine Top Advanced H.T. | Feb. 23-26, 2017 | Thomson, GA (Area 3)
Coconino Summer I H.T. | July 8-9, 2017 | Flagstaff, AZ (Area 10)
The Event At Rebecca Farm | July 19-23, 2017 | Kalispell, MT (Area 7)
Fitch's Corner H.T. | July 22-23, 2017 | Millbrook, NY (Area 1)
Cobblestone Farms H.T. | July 28-30, 2017 | Dexter, MI (Area 8)
Colorado Horse Park H.T. | Aug. 12-13, 2017 | Parker, CO (Area 9)
Shepherd Ranch SYVPC H.T. II | Aug. 25-27, 2017 | Santa Ynez, CA (Area 6)
Seneca Valley Pony Club H.T. | Sept. 2-3 2017 | Poolesville, MD (Area 2)
Otter Creek Fall H.T. | Sept. 15-17, 2017 | Wheeler, WI (Area 4)
Texas Rose Horse Park | November 11-12, 2017 | Tyler, TX (Area 5)
For more information, contact Kate Lokey: [email protected] or (703) 703-779-9897 or ext. 3020.