Sara Kozumplik Murphy and the Rubens D’Ysieux, winners of the 2017 Millbrook Horse Trials Advanced division. USEA/Jessica Duffy Photo.
The final qualifier for the 2018 Adequan USEA Gold Cup Series will take place this weekend at the 18th annual Millbrook Horse Trials at Coole Park Farm Millbrook, N.Y. The Advanced division at Millbrook is the last chance for riders to qualify for the 2018 Adequan USEA Gold Cup Final at the USEA American Eventing Championships presented by Nutrena Feeds in Parker, Colorado.
- There are more than 450 horses entered to compete at Millbrook Horse Trials this weekend from Beginner Novice through Advanced.
- Forty-eight combinations will contest the Adequan USEA Gold Cup Advanced division.
- Last year’s Advanced division winners, Sara Kozumplik Murphy and Rubens D’Ysieux, are returning to defend their title. Kozumplik Murphy will also compete aboard Fly Me Courageous.
- Boyd Martin makes up just over 10 percent of the division with his five rides: Steady Eddie, Long Island T, On Cue, Contestor, and Ray Price.
- Four other riders will compete on multiple horses in the Advanced division: Lindsay Beer (El Paso and Kennystown Frankie), Sarah Cousins (Christopher and Wizard), Caroline Martin (Cristano Z and Jump Jet), and Allison Springer (Lord Willing and Business Ben).
- Phillip Dutton, who was second, third, and sixth in the Advanced division last year on Fernhill Revelation, I’m Sew Ready, and Z, respectively, does not have any entries in the 2018 Advanced division. Both I’m Sew Ready and Z will compete in the Intermediate division this year.
- Emily Beshear, Jenny Caras, Buck Davidson, and Doug Payne all competed in the Advanced division last year aboard different horses than they will ride this year.
- In addition to returning winners Kozumplik Murphy and Rubens D’Ysieux and Martin with Steady Eddie and Long Island T, only four other horse-and-rider combinations from last year’s Advanced division are returning this year: Fylicia Barr and Galloway Sunrise, Kaitlin Clasing and Cartender dy Nyze, Sara Gumbiner and Polaris, and Lillian Heard and LCC Barnaby.
- Tremaine Cooper returns this year as the cross-country course designer for all levels.
- Mark Donovan is also back again this year to design the show jumping courses at Millbrook.
- General Admission to the Millbrook Horse Trials is free all weekend, but those looking to enhance their spectator experience can purchase tickets for the Yellowframe Farm Tent for dressage and stadium and the Fresh Gourmet WaterView Tent for cross-country. Millbrook also hosts a benefit luncheon on Sunday during show jumping - click here to purchase tickets.
- 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. – Dressage (All Levels)
- 12:00 p.m. – Adequan USEA Gold Cup Advanced Dressage
- 7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. – Dressage (All Levels)
- 10:30 a.m. – Adequan USEA Gold Cup Advanced Dressage
- 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. – Cross-Country (Training, Novice, Beginner Novice)
- 7:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. – Show Jumping (Training, Novice, Beginner Novice)
- 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. – Cross-Country (Intermediate, Advanced, Preliminary)
- 10:30 a.m. – Adequan USEA Gold Cup Advanced Cross-Country
- 7:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. – Show Jumping (Preliminary, Intermediate, Advanced)
Don’t forget to follow the USEA’s event coverage on social media!
Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
About the Adequan USEA Gold Cup Series
The 2018 Adequan USEA Gold Cup Series features 11 qualifying competitions throughout the United States at the Advanced horse trials and CIC3* levels. The qualifying period begins August 2017 and continues through August 2018 with the final taking place at the 2018 USEA American Eventing Championships at the Colorado Horse Park in Parker, Colorado, August 29 – September 2, 2018. Riders who complete a qualifier earn the chance to vie for $40,000 in prize money and thousands of dollars in prizes and the title of Adequan USEA Gold Cup Champion in the Adequan USEA Gold Cup Final Advanced Division. Click here to learn more about the Adequan USEA Gold Cup Series.
The USEA would like to thank Adequan, Standlee Hay Company, Nutrena, Merck Animal Health, Parker Equine Insurance, and FITS for sponsoring the 2018 Adequan USEA Gold Cup Series.