Jessica Phoenix and Bentley's Best at the 2016 Jersey Fresh International Three-Day Event. RedBayStock.com Photo.
The 16th annual Jersey Fresh International Three-Day Event (JFI) is the first CCI3* of the season in North America and kicks off this afternoon at the Horse Park of New Jersey in Allenton, N.J. with the first horse inspection. This year, Jersey Fresh has been designated as a U.S. Eventing Team qualifying selection event for the World Equestrian Games taking place at the Tryon International Equestrian Center this September.
- JFI received record entries this year, totaling 149 competitors. The three-star level will see 73 pairs, 26 in the CCI3* and 45 in the CIC3*, while 18 combinations will compete in the CCI2* and 60 in the CIC2*.
- Five combinations entered at JFI are rerouting after their weekend at the Land Rover Kentucky Three-Day Event ended early; Hawley Bennett-Awad and Jollybo, Elinor MacPhail O’Neal and RF Eloquence, Boyd Martin and Steady Eddie, Caroline Martin and The Apprentice, and Alexandra Knowles and Sound Prospect.
- Nilson Moreira da Silva and The Phoenix Syndicate's 10-year-old Thoroughbred gelding Cash are the only pair that competed in the 2017 CCI3* that are back again this year. Moreira da Silva also has two other rides in the CCI3*: L and N Equestrian's 14-year-old Holsteiner gelding Magnum’s Martini (Magnum x Momo's Girl) and 12-year-old Thoroughbred mare Lady Colina (Wheelaway x Dos Ariba), both of whom are new to the CCI3* level.
- Last year’s CCI2* champions Cornelia Dorr and her own Louis M (Lissabon x Angelique M), a 13-year-old Rheinland Pfalz-Saar gelding, will contest the CCI3* this year. Dorr is also competing in the CCI3* aboard her own Sir Patico MH (Sempatico M x Queen's Lite xx), a 12-year-old Zweibrucker gelding. Both horses are making their first attempt at the CCI3* level.
- In addition to Moreira da Silva and Dorr, Jessica Phoenix and Boyd Martin also have multiple rides in the CCI3* division. Phoenix will compete aboard Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Bogue Sound, and Pavarotti while Martin rides Long Island T and Ray Price. Both of Martin's rides are making their first run at the CCI3* level.
- Including the six horses listed above, another 10 horses are making their debut at the CCI3* level: Zoe Crawford and K.E.C. Zara, Buck Davidson and Archie Rocks, Ashley Kehoe and Kiltealy Toss Up, Leslie Law and Voltaire de Tre, Caroline Martin and Islandwood Captain Jack, Waylon Roberts and Lancaster, Autumn Schweiss and Oakport Strauss, Karl Slezak and Fernhill Wishes, Elizabeth Stewart and Elusive, and Lynn Symansky and RF Cool Play. In total, 61.5 percent of the horses competing in this year's CCI3* are new to the level.
- Captain Mark Phillips, who took over the cross-country course designing at JFI last year from John Williams, is the course designer for the CCI3* and CIC3* and co-designed the CCI2* and CIC2* courses with course builder Morgan Rowsell. The three-star courses will feature 10 new cross-country fences, thanks to the support of Dr. Brendan Furlong.
- Chris Barnard has taken over this year as Jersey Fresh’s show jumping course designer.
- Andrew Bennie (NZL) will serve as President of the Ground Jury for the CCI3* alongside fellow ground jury members Jane Hamlin (USA) and Gretchen Butts (USA)
- General admission to the Horse Park of New Jersey is free on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. Tickets are required on Saturday and Sunday and can be purchased at the gate for $10 per person and include parking. Click here to purchase tickets.
- 2:00 p.m. – First Horse Inspection
- 9:00 a.m. – Dressage (All Levels)
- 9:00 a.m. – Dressage (All Levels)
- 8:30 a.m. – Cross-Country (CIC2*, CIC3*, CCI3*, CCI2*)
- 8:00 a.m. – Second Horse Inspection
- 10:00 a.m. – Show Jumping (CIC2*, CIC3*, CCI3*, CCI2*)
Follow the USEA event coverage on social media!
Facebook | Instagram | Twitter