The Charles Owen Technical Merit Award, which aims to recognize safe and effective cross-country riding at the Training level, will kick off the 2017 season in February at the Pine Top Advanced H.T. Junior and adult amateur Training level riders entered will be vying for a chance to receive a Charles Owen Body Protector and helmet bag. Year-end high-point winners will receive a Charles Owen helmet.
The Charles Owen Technical Merit Award was founded by the USEA Professional Horsemans’ Council. The hope is that this award will provide incentives for amateur riders who demonstrate safe and appropriate cross-country technique, and will also educate riders and trainers as to what constitutes safe riding across country. Amateur riders entered in the designated divisions will automatically be judged during their cross-country rounds and will receive score sheets with written comments, which will provide valuable feedback for them and their trainers. Judges qualified to evaluate riders to receive the award are: Level III and IV ICP instructors, USEF licensed eventing officials, and USET Senior Team riders.
The judging criteria are based on technical merit and safe riding on cross country. It includes the following elements:
1. Gallop: Appropriate speed for level, terrain, conditions, type of obstacle, and balance.
2. Preparation Period: Demonstrates change in balance appropriate for type of obstacle. Choice of line of direction/approach, riders demonstrates proper aids, horse responsive to aids.
3. Execution of Jump: Jumped in proper balance with no twisting or drifting. Safe negotiation by horse with no badly hanging legs, rider stays in balance.
4. Rider Position: Secure, effective position, use of upper body, fitness.
5. General Impressions: Horse appropriate for level, rider in control, partnership of horse and rider, confidence of horse and rider, competence and preparation for level.
2017 Charles Owen Technical Merit Schedule
Pine Top Advanced H.T. | Feb. 23-26, 2017 | Thomson, GA (Area 3)
Coconino Summer I H.T. | July 8-9, 2017 | Flagstaff, AZ (Area 10)
The Event at Rebecca Farm | July 19-23, 2017 | Kalispell, MT (Area 7)
Fitch's Corner H.T. | July 22-23, 2017 | Millbrook, NY (Area 1)
Cobblestone Farms H.T. | July 28-30, 2017 | Dexter, MI (Area 8)
Colorado Horse Park H.T. | Aug. 12-13, 2017 | Parker, CO (Area 9)
Shepherd Ranch SYVPC H.T. II | Aug. 25-27, 2017 | Santa Ynez, CA (Area 6)
Seneca Valley Pony Club H.T. | Sept. 2-3 2017 | Poolesville, MD (Area 2)
Otter Creek Fall H.T. | Sept. 15-17, 2017 | Wheeler, WI (Area 4)
Texas Rose Horse Park | November 11-12, 2017 | Tyler, TX (Area 5)
For more information, contact Kate Lokey: [email protected] or (703) 703-779-9897
About Charles Owen
Charles Owen has been elevating the standards of safety in our sport by manufacturing to some of the top international safety standards for riding helmets and body protectors. At their design headquarters, Charles Owen uses an advanced computer simulation to perform impact analysis for their products. Charles Owen is the official riding helmet of the USEA. To learn more about Charles Owen click here for their website.