The Charles Owen Technical Merit Award, which aims to recognize safe and effective cross-country riding at the Training level, will kick off the 2015 season this weekend at the Cosequin Stuart Horse Trials (NY) and Roebke’s Run Horse Trials (MN). Junior and adult amateur Training level riders entered will be vying for a chance to receive a Charles Owen Body Protector and helmet bag.
This award was created to give encouragement and recognition for riders who exhibit safe and appropriate cross-country technique, and acts as an education tool for both riders and trainers. Those who enter will be judged during their cross country round by a qualified judge (Level III and IV ICP instructors, USEF licensed eventing officials, or USET Senior Team riders) and will receive score sheets with written comments and feedback once their division has finished.
The judging criteria are based on technical merit and safe riding on cross country. It includes the following elements:
1. Gallop: Appropriate speed for level, terrain, conditions, type of obstacle, and balance.
2. Preparation Period: Demonstrates change in balance appropriate for type of obstacle. Choice of line of direction/approach, riders demonstrates proper aids, horse responsive to aids.
3. Execution of Jump: Jumped in proper balance with no twisting or drifting. Safe negotiation by horse with no badly hanging legs, rider stays in balance.
4. Rider Position: Secure, effective position, use of upper body, fitness.
5. General Impressions: Horse appropriate for level, rider in control, partnership of horse and rider, confidence of horse and rider, competence and preparation for level.
Below is the 2015 schedule for the award:
2015 Charles Owen Technical Merit Schedule
Cosequin Stuart H.T. | July 10-12, 2015 | Victor, NY (Area 1)
Roebke’s Run H.T. | July 11-12, 2015 | Fairfax, MN (Area 4)
Cobblestone Farms H.T. | July 24-26, 2015 | Dexter, MI (Area 8)
Event at Rebecca Farm | July 22-26, 2015 | Kalispell, MT (Area 7)
The Event at Santa Fe | Sept 5-7, 2015 | Galisteo, NM (Area 10)
Colorado Horse Park Fall H.T. | Aug 14-16, 2015 | Parker, CO (Area 9)
Shepherd Ranch SYVPC H.T. II | Aug 21-23, 2015 | Santa Ynez, CA (Area 6)
Seneca Valley Pony Club H.T. | Sept 5-6, 2015 | Poolesville, MD (Area 2)
Nutrena USEA American Eventing Championships | Sept 24-27, 2015 | Tyler, TX (Area 5)
Chattahoochee Hills H.T. | Oct 24-25, 2015 | Fairburn, GA (Area 3)